
Once a week, I do volunteer work at a local charter school, in their gifted students program. Their gifted students program is cutting edge, because this particular school also recognizes, and integrates, what they call "twice exceptional" students into this program.
These students are students who have demonstrated exceptional test scores or IQs, but who have other issues, typically ADHD, Asperger's, or are otherwise "on the spectrum" of autism. They have sensitive, developing brains.
These kids can be a challenge, and joy, to learn to work with, because you have to throw away your paradigms and learn to sync-in with them, to get performance from them. And the performance you get may not at all be in the form that is conventionally expected. So it forces you to have an open mind, and be creative.
What does this have to do with 12-step heresy, and this as-yet-undefined fourth "C?"
These students are students who have demonstrated exceptional test scores or IQs, but who have other issues, typically ADHD, Asperger's, or are otherwise "on the spectrum" of autism. They have sensitive, developing brains.
These kids can be a challenge, and joy, to learn to work with, because you have to throw away your paradigms and learn to sync-in with them, to get performance from them. And the performance you get may not at all be in the form that is conventionally expected. So it forces you to have an open mind, and be creative.
What does this have to do with 12-step heresy, and this as-yet-undefined fourth "C?"
Ahhhhhhh...
These students, the "twice exceptional" students, are prime candidates for our future peers. They work in bubbles of their own worlds, poorly interfacing with the conventional system. Poorly integrated with the normies of their peer age.
These students, the "twice exceptional" students, are prime candidates for our future peers. They work in bubbles of their own worlds, poorly interfacing with the conventional system. Poorly integrated with the normies of their peer age.
Some of them have intellects, and sensitivities, well beyond their years, but social skills well behind. They are pariahs, outsiders, living on the edge of genius. Their vivid minds take in more stimuli, yet their skills are poor in filtering them, and processing them, and working through the resulting issues, socially.
These are the kids that may never feel at home in their own skin. For whom isolation and pain may be constant companions. Who may be painfully aware of their deficits, despite their gifts.
These are the kids that may never feel at home in their own skin. For whom isolation and pain may be constant companions. Who may be painfully aware of their deficits, despite their gifts.
These are potential future addicts, of a type.
DEPENDING ON HOW THEY ARE HANDLED AND DEVELOPED.
And now, ladies and gentlemen, may I present 12-step heresy, what I call the fourth "C":
Contribute.
Yes, it's been pounded into my head that we don't cause, control, or cure another's addiction. This is doctrine that has withstood the decades pretty well, and been very useful and comforting to countless -Anon programmers: Al-Anon, Narc-Anon, etc.
I believe wholeheartedly that the addictive brain has feedback pathways or neurochemical anomolies that are out of the bell curve of normal. And it may be that there is some threshold event that starts the train running, such as a toxic episode, or series of toxic episodes, that get the bad circuitry fired up and screaming for more.
It will be a long time before we know, for sure, but eventually we will. For now, we have brain scans that definitively show that addiction is a different set of brain functions than normal brain functions.
We can see it on the pictures, and see the damage it does afterwards, too.
We can associate some addictions to particular brain structures, using imaging.
There is so much more, to come. So little we really know, about how the brain works.
While seeing may be believing, it still is not etiological. We don't know what exactly is happening, in the imaging - only that something is different, from the "normal" brain scan.
And now, ladies and gentlemen, may I present 12-step heresy, what I call the fourth "C":
Contribute.
Yes, it's been pounded into my head that we don't cause, control, or cure another's addiction. This is doctrine that has withstood the decades pretty well, and been very useful and comforting to countless -Anon programmers: Al-Anon, Narc-Anon, etc.
I believe wholeheartedly that the addictive brain has feedback pathways or neurochemical anomolies that are out of the bell curve of normal. And it may be that there is some threshold event that starts the train running, such as a toxic episode, or series of toxic episodes, that get the bad circuitry fired up and screaming for more.
It will be a long time before we know, for sure, but eventually we will. For now, we have brain scans that definitively show that addiction is a different set of brain functions than normal brain functions.
We can see it on the pictures, and see the damage it does afterwards, too.
We can associate some addictions to particular brain structures, using imaging.
There is so much more, to come. So little we really know, about how the brain works.
While seeing may be believing, it still is not etiological. We don't know what exactly is happening, in the imaging - only that something is different, from the "normal" brain scan.
Imaging does tell us that stress can induce brain changes, as well. And permanent function changes. Some postulate that chemicals induced under stress cause brain development to progress differently:
The paradox for the brain comes when there is repeated stress over many days or when glucocortical levels remain high because of adrenal overactivity or poor regulation of the stress response. The result is atrophy of pyramidal neurons in the hippocampus and shutdown of ongoing neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus. After very prolonged and severe stress, pyramidal neurons may actually die. Through these processes, the hippocampus atrophies. This can be seen in the human brain by magnetic resonance imaging.
While I don't wish to write a dissertation, and don't want to drone on until your eyes glaze over, here is my point:
When you listen to where people come from, in the rooms, it's not all that odd to hear of a traumatic past. Especially childhood. There are environments and events that forge abnormal, addictive brains, in part.
The external factors of environment and event may be the last straw to a genetic predisposition, but they can indeed contribute to making such a brain. Some brains are very sensitive, to start with, and easily affected more than others.
My point being, when you wander the earth, remember this. When you interact with others, remember this. If you spend time with children, remember this. You are part of their enviornment.
There are things that we CAN manage, that contribute to the forging of the addictive brain.
HERESY!!!
I stand by my opinion. And, in 20 years, so will the burgeoning reams of research.
Be careful how you treat your fellow human.
And judge them.
And know that your behavior can affect others.
Keep this in mind. You are free of responsibility concerning the three "Cs," but you are responsible for the fourth. Especially with children.
-The Traveler

5 comments:
It's only heresy because, even after we get sober "no one likes to admit he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows." I suspect, particularly in light of the discussion I heard yesterday about the new alcoholism pharmacotherapy, that even though we to hold no corner on the God market, AAs, like many religious groups around the world, secretly wish we did.
I was a terrible science and math student in school. Arts and language were my thing from a very early age, which is sort of odd because on the school assessment tests done every year I'd score off the chart in math and science, arts and letters running not too distantly behind. Just had no interest. Perhaps it was that my father is a scientist. Whatever the reason, for all my struggle against science I had and still have a healthy respect for it. Hard science and theoretical science fascinate me. In my core I believe science is the tool we use to know God's mind.
After all, "God gave us brains to use."
I'm sure those kids benefit from you more than you realize. One cannot live by spiritual principles and not have that rub off on people, intentionally or not, and your particular audience is eager for that.
Sorry Deek, I think that you enjoy casting yourself as the heretic, but I don't buy that there's anything particular controversial about your theory. The precepts of the --Anons all revolve around the fully-formed adult alcoholic/ addict, at which point it is incontestable that their loved ones are playing a fool's game trying to control their addiction or take the blame for it. Whatever the contributing factors, at that point, the damage is done, so to speak. The addict is then responsible for his or her own recovery and the -anon is responsibly for his or hers.
It is also clear that some who have all the genetic pre-disposition to alcholism or addiction manage to avoid its scourge, and almost certainly that would be attributable to all sorts of positive environmental influences you describe that detoured them away from crossing that line. But those influences are the same for any program of good childrearing. Patience, kindness, compassion, the gentle setting of boundaries, intellectual and artistic stimulation--these always work, for all childrean, whether gifted or not, whether pre-disposed to addiction or not. You don't need to advocate such things only as a way to prevent addictive futures, and just because you recognize they might, doesn't make that some sort of heretical suggestion. Is there anyone arguing these are somehow ill-advised ways to deal with ALL children?
Btw, I had the kindest, least traumatic, nurturing childhood imaginable, full of infinite amounts of love and kindness. And after I discovered how much I loved cocktails, there was nothing--nothing--that could have prevented my full-blown addiction.
I would respond that history is full of expired "fools games" that were changed by better understanding of the science and principles involved. And re-engineered, then, from a "fool's game" to a solution that works.
Flying.
Space travel.
Treatment for epilepsy.
Treatment for schizophrenia.
Just because we haven't identified how to parse out the elements and a construct a solution doesn't mean it isn't there.
And just because one solution is good for all doesn't mean we shouldn't make special effort to identify high-risk factors and those in high-risk groups, and give them extra attention. By definition, they need it more.
I'm not trying to bask in the glow of a heretic. I identify much more with a scientist than a prophet.
I just hate to see people get stuck in dogma, and not keep alert to new solutions, or broader influence. That, to me, is complacency.
-The Traveler
I guess I just can't imagine that anyone would accuse you of "heresy" for pointing out how a child is raised and treated might contribute to the likelihood of his future addiction.
That's a far cry from saying addiction is the fault of the parent or teachers, which I can at least see getting a defensive reaction.
In my work (law) I run into a line of thought that people who commit criminal acts are fully responsible for their choices. I've always disagreed and I have been called naive or worse on more than one occasion. We all make choices and in the moment that we make the choice the decision is all ours. But the life experiences that go into developing us into the people that we are, with the values that we have, are what prime us to make those choices. No one makes choices, whether the addiction is to crime or alcohol or other substances and/or behavior, in a vacuum. I think that is what I hear you saying. I also think that we are often far too consumed with judging. There is a need to insist that the homeless guy sleeping under the bridge is there because of his choices because, if that is a given, then we have no responsibility to take any actions to change his status in society. As a whole, humankind is very skilled in denying that there is any validity to cause and effect when it comes to human behavior. We are Cain's children, defensively crying, "Am I my brother's keeper?"--Sheria
Post a Comment