Friday, December 14, 2007

On Nine Lives, Plus One - GONE, Part II

Part I of this story. (link)

Today Cat Woman showed up. She sat in front of me, after coming in late, again. I wondered if I would get a chance to talk to her, after the meeting.

She ended up across the room from me, during the circle and closing prayer. This meeting has all stand and form a circle, holding hands, then recites the Lord's Prayer for closing.

I returned to my seat to collect my things, and just as I did, she was there, in front of me, not occupied.

So I said to her, "Amy (name has been changed), I wanted to tell you I'm sorry, about your cat."

She stared at me with what I can only describe as shell shock for a few moments, looking me in the eyes.

And then, her arms came out, and went around me, and she pulled up to me, and laid her head on my shoulder and said, "My baby. He was my baby."

I spoke into her ear, "I know. Because I am an animal lover, too. I know how much it hurts."

As we pulled apart from the embrace, she was still shocky, and distant, as though it was surreal. She then said to me, "I think I see him, out of the corner of my eye, at my place. And then I realize he's gone."

She broke off, and wandered away a few steps. I thought she was done, and I was changing mental gears to prepare to leave.

And then she spun around, suddenly engaged, in this reality, as though she had just awakened.

She stopped, and turned squarely toward me, and said slowly, "Thank you. Thank you...for saying that."

And we both went on with our day. But I think our hearts were a little lighter.

Today's meeting was a step study. And as God would have it, we were on Step 12.

- The Traveler

No comments: