Friday, January 4, 2008

On They Know How to Getcha


So today the 2008 onslaught began. Or at least the first wave. The weekly, or perhaps twice weekly, Nashbar catalogue in the mail. Yes, I yam. Yes, I have the calves. Moderate, it's only a 12 mile habit. But hey, it's hilly, where I live.

I even took the opportunity to open the thing and look at the pictures, paying particular attention to the clearance items. Mostly, I just File 13 'em and don't EVEN go there. I know if I look long enough, I'll find something I think I need...

Right after Christmas, at the dawning of a new year, in the dead of winter, after all the holiday gorging, these catalogue folks know we're susceptible. Susceptible to cabin fever. Susceptible to boredom. Susceptible to restlessness. Susceptible to thoughts of springtime dreams, perhaps of touring. I am.

I started training in earnest about two years ago. And in that time, my body has changed. I can feel what's healthy much easier, now. And my body wants it, and is much less interested in junk, and toxins.

It feels awful at first - like you're dying - to get into shape, when you've gone far out of shape. But after you get past that first phase of body-shock, it gets better each day, if you are consistent and keep it up. And one day, you notice it isn't so much work any more, but rather habit.

And the interesting thing about habits is that they calm us. The repetition. The known. The memory.

Recovery is like this.

And it feels good, after you make it a habit. Your body, heart, and mind know it. At least, mine do.

I would wish for you some healthy new habits, in 2008.

No, I didn't order anything. I rarely do, almost never. But I did enjoy all the sleek, colorful pictures, and imagining what it would be like, to buy to my heart's content. Sometimes wanting is a richer experience than having.

- The Traveler

No comments: