Tuesday, January 1, 2008

On Sometimes, I Fall in Love...

OK, so that's hyperbole, but the point is that when I run across something with what I think has enduring value, I want to program it into my brain to stay. And often that means putting it here in my blog, where I put stuff to come back later and re-ponder it. That's how I personally use my blog, as a filing cabinet of stuff to think about, or stuff I've thought about.

(I switched the order of #9 and #10 because Blogger was messing up the formatting when I tried to put the quiz in the middle of ten points.)

While this was written for alcoholism, it applies to any defect via compulsion (a.k.a. addiction).


*******************

10 Truths I Have Learned About Recovery and this Disease of Addiction

I have been around the program for a few 24 hrs and there are some undeniable truths about this disease and recovery that I did not want to accept when I first came around, although I heard it at almost every meeting in some form. Maybe they can help someone.
  1. You will not quit until you have had enough. This one sounds so harsh, but like the book states "It finally beat us into a state of reasonableness" I know for this alcoholic it took every treatment center, hospital bed, DUI, pint of blood I threw up, etc to earn my plastic chair.
  2. The booze\drugs are not the real problem. No one who has any respect for themselves pounds poisonous chemicals into their body until they slip into oblivion. The booze\drugs were the solution, at least for a while. Booze\drugs could help us escape our miserable existence filled with unhappiness, all derived due to selfishness and self-centeredness.
  3. The same man\woman will drink again. If putting down the booze was enough, there would be no need for the 12 steps, meetings, sponsors, or a big book. It is like a knocking rod in your engine. A can of STP oil treatment will quiet the knock for a week or so, but the rod is still bent. A spiritual awakening is required to fix the real problem.
  4. No human power could have relieved my alcoholism. Lord knows everyone tried. Judges, lawyers, girlfriends, etc. I have spent my life placing dependence on other people. But because they are human, they will always fail us, just like we failed them. This is where a power greater than myself is required.
  5. This is an inside problem with no outside solution. I have always thought, if just had the right girlfriend, band, job, income, blah, blah, then I would not need to drink. I was trying to fill inside holes with outside things. Healing starts on the inside when we work steps two and three. There is a sufficient substitute. It is the fellowship.
  6. I am powerless over alcohol, and pornography, and Ben and Jerry’s, and caffeine, etc. My disease changes clothes all the time. The good news is that I recognize it. Look, if it feels good, taste good, looks good, I want more of it. Moderation is not in my vocabulary. But I have tools today that I can use. Sponsor, prayer, meetings, talking to another alcoholic.
  7. My life is unmanageable. It does not say my hair is unmanageable, or my checkbook is unmanageable. My life in unmanageable. This means everything. I finally got the guts to fire myself from management and made sure I was marked "no re-hire!" This was really tough to accept. I am so damn self sufficient, enough to get me killed.
  8. It is not the caboose on the train that kills you. The craziest thing I have ever done was done sober, and that was to pick up the first one. After the first one, it is two, three, and the next thing you know ol' Jed's a millionaire. It is alcoholism, not alcoholwasm.
  9. You must give it away to keep it. Huh? I hated these little quips, like surrender to win!. Arggg. But this is one of the greatest gifts of the spiritual awakening. When I work with other alcoholics, I feel whole, useful, and like I am doing God's work. It is indescribable. When I first heard this I said "hooey"! Man was I wrong.
  10. I cannot think myself out of this disease. It says this many times in the big book.

My sponsor gave me a test. It goes like this:

Self knowledge avails me:

A). Everything I have ever wanted.

B). Half the s#it I needed.

C). Jack s*it.

Being too smart for this program will get you killed.

*****************

Sometimes, I just appreciate other people's perspectives, and like to ponder them instead of the stuff in my own head. I think the wisdom of others is the Spiritual Awakening of Step 12 (or, that happens, so we get to Step 12), i.e., the miracle of That Which Would Not Happen Apart From a Higher Power's Influence - to hear stuff like this come forth. OK, let's split that miracle out. That it came forth, from an addict. And, that I heard it. Two-part miracle. God's a funny, clever guy, good at leveraging. LOL!

My personal favorites from this:


  • The booze\drugs are not the real problem.
  • This is an inside problem with no outside solution.
  • My disease changes clothes all the time.
  • The craziest thing I have ever done was done sober, and that was to pick up the first one.
  • I finally got the guts to fire myself from management...
What strikes you, from this? Or, what would your list be?

-The Traveler

3 comments:

Mark Olmsted said...

I would be tempted to say this is an outside problem with an inside solution, in that you do something or take a substance on the outside of you and it alters the inside of you, and the solution is a internal, spiritual transformation, but I think your version says it better. Certainly the solution is not outside of you.
I also like saying "I am the 'man' in unmanageable." What I needed to become was "Godgeable."
Good list, though.
(The right girlfriend, hunh?_

Anonymous said...

I like this list. I think that I would put the one about the booze/drugs are not the real problem at the top of my list. My drug was food. Binge eating to numb myself from all my insiee problems. It has taken me a long time to get to a place of recognizing that there are no outside solutions. Whatever the addiction, recovery is a process. I like that this list identifies Addiction as the disease.

The Traveler said...

Sheria,

Yeah, that was my first instinct, to think the *booze/drugs are not the real problem* should top the list. But then I thought about it, and I think he's right putting being *DONE* first. Because, until we are *DONE,* we CANNOT SEE that the booze/drugs are not the central problem.

And the *changing clothes* statement... I'm finding more and more that recovery principles apply across the board, to life in general. I find I pry my mind open a bit more, each day, in recovery, discovering just how broad these things apply, and not just to "addicts" or "addictions."

-TT