Y'know when you go to buy a car, and the model you lust after gets set into your mind, and all of a sudden you see them everywhere, on the road, when previously they hadn't seemed so ubiquitous?
Well, I think God's irony is like that. He is a funny guy.
(For the record, and for you who get bent on such things, where I come from, "guy" is rather gender neutral. We just want to appease the audience members, whom we are trying our damnedest not to think about, as we write. God's gender, or orientation, is also something I don't know. Oh, wait, maybe Gods don't even have genders. Hmmmm. There's a lot I don't know. I'm finding out more, every day.)
Take for example the hilarity of my waking realization this morning.
One of the stalwart couples in a meeting I attend are both long-term in their sobriety; as a matter of fact, they met each other on their recovery journey.
These guys are quiet leaders, you know the type who wait to be asked, but when they are, you listen to what comes forth, because it tends to have wisdom in it. They sit separately in meetings, and one might never know they are connected, if one didn't know that.
But both have that aura of serenity. Different manifestations, but undeniably present. His is gregarious, sparkling. Hers quiet, settled. But you know, you can feel it. There is a relaxation of the face in folks with serenity and a force field of calm about them. Now, I don't know if all y'all out there have experienced this, but I have. These types are not in every meeting, but when they are, you can feel them, something about the presence of serenity. You can feel the number of 24s they've put in, and the seriousness with which they have traveled the Journey.
OK, so here's the funny part. God put these two together.
He is a septic guy. She is a psychoanalyst. They are leaders in the local recovery community.
Stop, and think about this!
They both professionally deal in shit. His, tangible, hers, intangible. They are two of the cleanest people I know, on the inside. This makes me want to cackle uncontrollably at the irony, the hilarity of our dear God up there, pulling the marionette strings, directing the play.
God is a very funny guy. And smart.
I wonder if it's more of a sonic boom - His laugh - or, an almost imperceptible twitch at the corners of His Divine mouth, and a twinkle in his omniscient eyes. I tend to think the latter, but what do I know.
And no, I ain't makin' this stuff up. It's real.
-The Traveler

3 comments:
There a gay couple just like that in my morning meeting. HE goes Monday Wednesday and Friday, and HE goes Tuesday and Thursday.
They'll tell me going to separate meetings is the KEY to the AA marriage working so well (and they're both the cute as a button).
God has to have a sense of humor; She created humankind.
Sheria, thanks for stopping by and your comments. You have an interesting life-path, as well. I checked it out.
-TT
Post a Comment