I'm cruising through some blogs for fun (I do a wide variety of cruising, you might be shocked at just exactly what I look at, heh heh.... Oh, but I digress...) I think FIOS service is enabling, truth be told.
And I hit a page, and yet ANOTHER cheesey little sticker appears, some self-administered blog award sent - re-recycled - on to another blog-buddy in their circles, and then the responding post of effusive thanks, etc.
Did I just never get properly socialized? I thought by this age and stage in life that I had made it to adulthood, but this made me feel retro-launched right back into junior high. Those types of things make me want to hurl, and repeatedly.
Because they are meaningless, and not discerning.
I mean, if you want to encourage or support someone, say something meaningful, with content, unique to them. This act of spraying out cutesy blog award stickers means nothing, they go around and come around and are just another iteration of the junior high popularity game. Does this never go away? UGHHHHHHH!
When we waste our lifespans on that which is meaningless, and, worse yet, base our self-esteem on lauding that is also meaningless, what does that say about us as people?
I like this quote my sponsor recently shared with me:
Say what you mean, mean what you say, say it with love.
And to that, I would add, use your OWN WORDS. Don't be so lazy to use pre-packaged junk food.
Oh, and in case you think this is sour grapes or some such thing, you would be mistaken. I was the kid off to the sidelines, watching that popular group do all their doings, but I wasn't the kid longing to be part of them. They never appealed to me, at all. I was just morbidly amused at their chatterings and cluckings. That's why I even bothered to watch them.
And now, I'm going to edit some of the blogs on my cruising list. I have quality control. Yeah, I'm feeling edgy today. That's what toxic eating seems to do to me, or the hangover from it, at least. BWAHAHAH!!
Ah. I feel MUCH better, now.
Two outta three ain't bad, I guess. I'm not exactly brimming with love, here.
-The Traveler

1 comment:
I personally don't get nauseaous at all these awards, I react with more bemusement than anything. As someone who checks his stats on a daily basis and who LOVES when he gets more readers, I don't really feel I'm one to judge other's needs to makes popularity a contest.
HOWEVER, one good, thought-out comment, one email that tells me something I wrote really made a difference, THAT is worth 10x any "Blogger's Choice" Award. So on that count we are on the same page.
Post a Comment