Saturday, November 17, 2007

God Ain't No Codependent

It's not like I pick what the brain churns on, as I wake up. Today's waking thought was that God ain't no codependent.

OK, so, at least the God of my un-understanding had some role with getting me here on this earth, that I call "creating" me, and then He sort of has this ability to influence events such that my life is influenced.

So, if we accept that God is behind the creation of us people, then we look around at what He made, and how the system works.

Now, one of the things that I've always had a hard time wrapping my head around is this concept of Free Will. I'm not smart enough to understand why this would be the best way to create us people, but that's what God did. I just have to accept it, I guess.

Perhaps it's that God is a creative, artsy type, and creating beings with Free Will is more interesting because it's a dynamic rather than static creation. Or perhaps there is some cosmic wisdom that Free Will enables in a larger system, down the line, like the concept of redemption from a fallen state.

It does seem to me that one of the most powerful forces I've personally seen is this redemption, particularly in the rooms. Unbelievable bottoms, and then people taking that intangible step of admitting, and turning over, and then this not-rational launch to what was previously Not Possible: sobriety.

At any rate, He went on to create not only the elements but also the system they are within. And the way it appears He engineered it is with these things called Natural Consequences. You do something, and depending on what you do, Something happens. And the Something is somewhat rationally predictable; it's not random.

So if you think about this system, and think on our lives, you will then see that He put this system in motion and LET IT GO. He's not interjecting Himself everytime we're about to make a screwy decision. He lets the system work, allows the natural consequences.

I ran across this hilarious version of the 12 steps, translated into codependecy:



The Twelve Steps To Codependency

    1. We admitted we were powerless over nothing—that we could manage our lives perfectly and those of anyone else who would allow us to.
    2. Came to believe there was no power greater than ourselves and the rest of the world was insane.
    3. Made a decision to have our loved ones and friends turn their wills and lives over to our care, even though they couldn't understand us at all.
    4. Made a searching and fearless moral and immoral inventory of everyone we knew.
    5. Admitted to the whole world at large the exact nature of everyone else's wrongs.
    6. Were entirely ready to make others straighten up and do right.
    7. Demanded others to either shape up or ship out.
    8. Made a list of all persons who had harmed us, and became willing to go to any lengths to get even with them all.
    9. Got direct revenge on such people wherever possible, except when to do so would cost us our own lives or at the very least a jail sentence.
    10. Continued to take personal inventory of others and when they were wrong, promptly and repeatedly told them about it.
    11. Sought through bitching and nagging to improve our relations with others as we couldn't understand them, asking only that they knuckle under and DO IT MY WAY.
    12. Having had a complete physical, emotional, and spiritual breakdown as a result of THESE STEPS, we tried to blame it on others and to get sympathy and pity in all our affairs.

I don't see too much of my God, in the above.

However, I sure do see one particular person "close" to me...

-The Traveler

1 comment:

Mark Olmsted said...

I keep coming back to the idea of God as "context." Not an end destination, or a fixed entity, but a space from which and in which I try to live and operate from.
In the same vein, I try to think of faith as a verb. Something you do, rather than have. Like love.