Monday, November 19, 2007

If You Were All Knowing, Would You Create Codependents? Or Maybe Better Titled, "Why I Love the Drunks' Secular God."

OK, I can only handle stodgy thinking so much, then I have to cut loose a bit. I do sit around and ponder the universe, and God, and all that stuff, but my pea brain just can't do it on a sustained basis. Good thing I didn't want to become clergy.

Sometimes, I need to let the brain play with an idea. Like, if you think about it, the human race is inherently codependent. I mean, look what we did to God.

Start with the premise that God is ALL. Wise, Loving, Powerful, Knowing.

We humans couldn't just leave it at that. Nooooooooooo, we had to flush Him out more, make a too-complicated set of characteristics, and rules. Then, of course, we couldn't agree, because we all KNEW BETTER THAN THE NEXT GUY, so we started evolving different religions, about this all wise, all loving, all powerful, all knowing God.

Then, we gave him different names, and said if your name wasn't my name, then your God wasn't real. Only mine is.

We argued about the "finer points" of our God(s) and soon OUR ideas about God became justifiable reasons to take from others, condemn others, tell others what to do, and, even, kill others. All in the name of an all wise, all loving, all powerful, all knowing God.

And, as time wore on, we got more and more bizarre about it. Eating habits, whether we could use electricity or not, when we were allowed to have sex... just rather bizarre things. We are a strange race, we humans.

We claim to know things that we couldn't possibly know, and then make decrees based on this "knowledge." I guess what I'm saying is that religion is inherently codependent.

I had fought with this idea for decades, nearly coming to the conclusion that there just wasn't any God. But it's a little desolate out there, to live life with no larger purpose, and for there to be no difference between good, and evil. I mean, what's the point? And yet, I had been so turned off by religion, because it made me lie to myself, and made me feel shame when I tried to be honest with myself. I did not know the things they told me were True. And I knew I was lying if I said I believed them. But if I didn't, then I "didn't believe." I just never could get it. Am I just stupid, or something?

And yet, if there were no God, why are we essentially spiritual beings? We all feel our souls, if we are honest. Even the die hard atheists. They fight God, because they feel their souls. Otherwise, they wouldn't care so much. But, they do.

So, we're spiritual, and have souls. That, I think I get. All the other criteria, and rules, and exclusions... those I don't get. I could really rant on this for days, but I think you'll understand without the extra words.

So when I hit the rooms, it was the first time I felt at home with God.

First off, I didn't have to know what He was. I just had to have my own understanding, which, in my case, is an un-understanding. And I'm sort of OK with that.

Secondly, I saw changes in people for which I could find no other explanation, except that some spiritual power had effected changes in them. They themselves claimed it was not of their doing, and since the changes were in them, they ought to know, I figured.

Thirdly, nobody could tell me I was wrong, what I thought - about this God that I had never met, Who had never spoken directly to me, and who lives in a different realm, a virtual non-physical existence.

So, as I have been obsessing on all things codependent of late, as that's my latest mental iteration, it started to form in my mind that the God of religions is really a codependent system, where humans are the codependents and spend their energy telling everyone else How God Is. But the Drunks' "Secular God," as I like to think of Him, is still able to be simple, and encompassing rather than exclusionary.

That's the God I want.

But what I still don't understand is why God would create us so inclined to become codependents. And the worst of it is, that our codependent natures ruined Him. Now there's divine irony. He must have a reason for it, but I sure don't understand why...

-The Traveler

5 comments:

Mark Olmsted said...

I think God created the Universe, and the Universe created us. We just evolved co-dependently, probably because it worked well in our formative years 5 million to 3000 or so years ago. Then it stopped working. Just like all the tools we use to survive as kids turn on us when we keep using them as adults.
I like "secular God" as it's a perfect match for my self definition as an "atheist with faith."

Texaco said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Texaco said...

I was thinking about this post an hour ago at a third step meeting and loving the fact that in AA it doesn't matter if we pray facing east or facing a wall, it doesn't matter if we get sprinkled, dunked or get our foreskin hacked off in front of our family, it doesn't matter if we find God in a crescent, a star or a cross. Whatever our private paths are, we find God that is an "Infinite source of Power and Love." I can't wrap my little grapefruit sized, defective human organ around Infinite. I get to be still and know that God IS.

And, sweetie, baby,
Bwaah ha ha!

Texaco said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Texaco said...

Why didn't that work?

Details here