Sunday, December 23, 2007

A View Inside


This picture... robs me of words. Because I cannot find the words to describe how this image captures the inside of me. (You have to imagine the IMAX, larger-than-life view of it, such that it encompasses your entire field of vision, to see it how I do.)

There's an ambivalence to it. Because I can't decide, what it is. It hits me with many facets, all at once, at the onset. Then, as I slow down and look around it, it gets more complex, even, to me.

Is it gleaming... or gloomy?

Serene... or stormy?

Still... or stirring?

Drawing near... or departing?

Dawn... or dusk?

Yes
.

It is all of these, all at once. You can feel them, as you look.

I love the power - the drama - of the colors. Heck, there's even green, in the sky, at the left.

Are the blues washing over me, cooling me, calming me?

Or are the reds arising, to provoke dissension, within me?

Do I fear the shadows on the horizon, or find in them respite?

Those illumined clouds - not exactly the usual. They exhibit pointillism - a staccato - which to me is a visual irony for such as a cloud, made up of boundaryless vapors.

And, how is it, that it can be washed both with white light, and with golden, in the same scene?

I wish I could climb into this place, and just sit there, until what happens, happens. I would so love to smell, and hear, and touch this place.

But only by myself, alone - undisturbed.

In a way, I am there. Because if there were a picture of a view inside me, this would be it.

-The Traveler

2 comments:

Mark Olmsted said...

Glorious. Do you know who the photographer is?
Incidentally, I appreciated the astuteness of your comment on the Tissot/Turner. It was astonished that he could render such a result with different shades of yellow.

Anonymous said...

What an exquisite photograph! Your observations about the image and the seeming contradictions it conveys are intriguing and poetic. I enjoyed reading this entry.--Sheria